Connecticut Resisting Arrest Lawyer

A Connecticut resisting arrest lawyer can collect evidence to fight the charges and help you work toward a positive outcome in the case. It is important to work fast and diligently to build a strong defense with the help of a top lawyer.

How Does Connecticut Define Resisting Arrest?

Actions that can be penalized as resisting arrest are defined Connecticut General Statutes (C.G.S.) §53a-167a under the name of interfering with an officer. Doing anything that “obstructs, resists, hinders, or endangers” a peace officer in the performance of duty violates the statute. A resisting arrest lawyer in Connecticut can seek evidence such as video footage to show that actions complained of did not actually constitute resistance or endanger the officer.

What Are the Consequences of a Conviction for Resisting Arrest?

In most situations, interfering with an officer/resisting arrest is treated as a Class A misdemeanor. Someone convicted of this level of crime may be sentenced to as much as one year of imprisonment. Additionally, the court may impose a fine of up to $2,000. In many cases, a Connecticut resisting arrest attorney can advocate for alternative penalties. If a serious injury results and the offense is prosecuted as a felony, someone found guilty faces up to five years in prison and $5,000 fine.

Ideally, it is best to avoid a guilty plea if at all possible. Pleading guilty creates a conviction and a criminal record that appears on background checks indefinitely. The damage to reputation can cause far more harm than a penalty or term of imprisonment or probation.

Contact an Experienced Connecticut Resisting Arrest Attorney

The resisting arrest statute in Connecticut is very broad which means arrest worthy conduct for one police officer may not be arrest worthy conduct for another. A Connecticut resisting arrest lawyer can help you fight the charges brought against you and keep your record clean. For a case evaluation and consultation to learn more about your options for defense, call Mark Sherman Law today.

Live Chat